- LACK OF BEING INVESTIBLE: A MAJOR SETBACK IN AFRICA’S INNOVATION –UGO NWOKORO - February 26, 2022
- THE CRUX OF TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION IN AFRICA’S DEVELOPMENT - February 21, 2022
- ALL IT TOOK WAS THAT LIFE-DEFINING MOMENT – ADETOKE OLUWO - February 19, 2022
Imagining business without leadership is like imagining a satellite without a power source. Like a Satellite needs a stable internal source of power to gear its components to action, a business needs effective leadership to inspire growth and development. Strategic leadership is key and crucial to the performance of a business, as a business does not thrive on processes alone, but also on effectively coordinating the people that drive the processes, if you can get everyone to give their best, then you can get the best out of every plan and strategy.
The inseparable corporate relationship between leadership and business births an important concept of what we call today “Business leadership”
What does business leadership mean?
Business leadership entails how leaders make decisions, set goals, and provide trajectories in a professional business environment. Business leadership can take many different forms, and although it usually involves a CEO or higher-level employees guiding and inspiring the rest of the team, it requires everyone working together to achieve a common goal, with trust and a common yearning for excellence as the basis. Business leadership aims to find the leadership format that works best for a particular company and its team of employees.
There is always a need for strong and vibrant business leaders. No matter what the job designation is, with the right skill set and dedication, everyone can be a business leader. If an individual can demonstrate the competence of a leader and a result-oriented mindset, he/she should be given opportunities to use those skills to lead a team or project. Developing an in-depth understanding of leadership in business and what it takes to be a great leader can help anyone become a vital asset in his/her workplace.
Furthermore, certain skills and attributes are regarded as important, for you to possess as a business leader in order to lead your team to success, and the good thing is, they are easy to learn and imbibe.
- Self-Motivation: For a leader, the best kind of motivation is to be self-motivated, a leader must be resilient enough to keep the team going through tough times, they must possess the ability to see the shining rays when it’s dark all around. They must possess both insight and foresight to pave way for progress in times of distress. Hard times come with gloom, but with a great leader, they come with hope and opportunities.
- Organization: A leader must be well organized and as such, every aspect of the business must reflect his organizational skills. This entails that deadlines and schedules have to be met. Certainly, a team with an organized leader performs and functions better.
- Delegation: Every leader has to be able to delegate duties to his subordinates or employees. A leader must know the strengths and weaknesses of his team members to identify when and who to entrust with what task, for a faster, better and more reliable result.
- Communication: To be an effective leader, one has to perfect the art of communicating with the employees and relaying his/her messages perfectly. Communication is effective when done right, and that is why leaders have to ensure that they set up their business to run in a free environment, open for communication and dialogue.
- Responsibility: This has to be among the most important skill in a leader’s skill set. A leader has to be able to accept responsibility and take charge of any situation that arises, whether good or bad without passing on the blame. A leader has to take charge and put his/herself out there for the benefit of the team.
- Interpersonal skills: A good leader makes conscious efforts to know the members of the team personally. This entails taking the time to talk to their co-workers and provide guidance. Interpersonal skills involve the ability to successfully navigate conversations, meetings, and other workplace interactions. Leaders with strong interpersonal skills can address disagreements, negotiate compromises and encourage productivity within their team.
- Curiosity: Efficient leaders constantly look for new ideas and innovative solutions to propel their company or team forward. The willingness to try new things can create inspire and encourage others to also be forward thinkers.
Don’t just learn, but also embody these leadership principles, make them a part of you and pass on the lesson to your team too, you’ll be amazed at the result. Everyone can be a great leader, as long as they possess the right mindset and are constantly reminded of what great leadership requires of them, and what they stand to gain when they model the principles of great leadership.