- Disrupting the Health Industry – Monsurat A. Jumoke - September 25, 2021
- Tales of Dreamz Network – Damilola Johnson - September 18, 2021
- Forgive yourself – Oyewunmi Balogun - September 18, 2021
Working from home has been the new order of the day since the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Some organizations found it pretty much challenging to work under this condition because, their job requires physical meetings of staff, while other organizations see it as quite interesting to work with.
What difference does it make for a manager to coordinate and control official affairs even while the staffs work from home? You don’t need to install a CCTV to monitor your workers at home neither do you need a webcam. That, of course, will put pressure on your workers and reduce their confidence level. Trust you wouldn’t want that, right?
Your staffs need to know that you trust them with their individual tasks.
So, never make these mistakes with your team members, it could pull the firm down.
- Being bossy: in as much as you want to stamp your authority and be in control of your team, you need to learn the skills of managing people. At times, it’s good not to be too permissive in taking decisions but always avoid unnecessarily being demanding in carrying out your duty post. Some of your team members could be either emotional or logical, understand the appropriate time to give a task. Don’t be a tyrannical leader.
- Building a hostile workspace: one of the roles of a manager is to create a favorable workspace for every member of your team. You must pay attention to every issue and resolve them at a due time whether minor or serious issues. Never ignore any team member’s complaint or opinion, show them you have a good sense of humor so as to avoid enmity among team members which may likely result in the flame of conflict. Your conflict management skills must be utilized.
- Training and Development: 10 years old Tilly Smith saved her family and 100 other tourists from the 2004 Asian Tsunami by recognizing signs of Tsunamis she had learned in a geography lesson two weeks before. Training and development of your team members on various soft skills will foster organizational growth, hence, avoid investment tsunami in the organization just like Tilly Smith helps hundreds of people.
- Communication gap: some of your team members want to communicate an idea to their team leaders, but the leader has made him or herself unavailable, rigid, and antisocial. Your ability to communicate effectively with team members build your trust in them.
- Deficiency in Appraising team members: “a little rain each day will fill the rivers to overflowing”. No, how little a team member went to ascertain a task, always appreciate their efforts, and encourage team effort. Team lunch at the next restaurant is not bad enough.
- Inability to establish key performance indicators: As a talent manager, you should create simple, measurable, actionable, realistic, and timely (SMART) goals that are tantamount to the key objectives of the organization. Set quarterly or annual KPIs which will help to keep your team members on track with the organization’s initiatives.
- Reactive Recruitment Process: Currently, no organization is expected to interest top talent by using a reactive approach to hiring. Stop recruiting when you need staff/s. Most of the talent managers put themselves under pressure in filling the vacancy of a staff that just resigned or underperformed. There is a reason for managers to start using a pro-active approach to recruiting staff by investing in a good career site and training the entire hiring team.